Hot Spring and Caldera Spas (MASCO/Watkins Manufacturing)
Develop differentiated brand positioning strategies for two of the top brands in the spa/hot tub category and evaluate the roles of other brands and new brand in the company’s portfolio
The global leader in the spa/hot tub category needed to more effectively position and differentiate their top two brands and determine the role of other sub-brands in its product portfolio. They had already conducted extensive research and needed a fresh perspective in interpreting it.
What BLM Did:
- Conducted one-on-one interviews with management, field sales and dealers throughout the country to better understand the category, competitors, regional differences in attitudes and execution of marketing strategy
- Analyzed extensive customer research to develop unique insights into the Hot Spring and Caldera ownership experience
- Developed new and differentiated brand positioning strategies to clearly separate the Hot Spring and Caldera brands
- Developed a portfolio brand map to position the role of existing sub-brands vs. the two top brands.
- Helped position a new sub-brand under the Hot Spring brand to ensure marketing and brand family consistency
- Developed detailed brand creative strategy documents to provide agencies clear creative and communications development guidelines
Successfully positioned Hot Spring Spas as providing the “Absolute Best Hot Tub Ownership Experience” which reinforced its number one market share position during a down market. Effectively repositioned the Caldera brand as providing the most “holistic spa experience”, so that each brand was positioned against distinct customer segments.